Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In | Join Today
Behavior
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
spider monkey behavior change and unilateral epistaxis 0 D. Ialeggio Hi everyone - we have 1.0  23+ year old sexually intact year old brown spider monkey that has been chronically housed with 0.1 contracepted conspecific and 0.2 contracepted black-headed spider monkeys. They have been housed together in their current enclosure since the two brown spiders cleared quarantine (2005). There has been long-term keeper consistency in this area, with no change in primary keeper in @6 years.Within the past several months there has been a marked change in the male's behavior which is increasingly aggressive, although the aggressions have generally been more addressed toward staff rather than cagemates. In addition, the male has experienced at least three brief bouts of unilateral (left) epistaxis in recent weeks. We are planning diagnostic evaluations to narrow the laundry list of dfferentials and are looking to include a series of hormonal serologic assays in the battery of tests. Is anyone able to suggest a lab in the US that will have validated testing for spider monkeys for gonadal, pituitary, adrenal, etc hormones? Thanks Donna
by D. Ialeggio
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Elephant and Valium 0 M. Limoges So this morning I gave our 41-year-old Asian cow oral diazepam (300 mg) to "take the edge off" while we were training her for trunk endoscopy. She spent most of the day being mellow and "huggy" and quite tractable except not giving a shit when told not to do something (like grabbing tree branches). Several keepers commented they "had their old girl back"; meaning that in the past she used to be mellower and cuddlier, or maybe generally more in a good mood... Now I realize these keepers may be viewing the past with rose-colored glasses, but maybe there is some truth to their recollections. I personally can't tell, as I've only been working here just over a year. But if it is true that she used to be in a generally better mood than currently, I wonder how we might be able to take her back to this better mood (presumably her "baseline") without recourse to habit-forming drugs...? Background: This animal has abnormal posture, probably some degree of osteoarthritis, and severe dental malformations. We also suspect low-grade chronic pneumonia and/or heart disease. She is currently on daily glucosamine-chondroitin supplement and oral tramadol. I don't expect diazepam will have provided much in the way of analgesia, therefore I don't think the behavior changes are related to changes in overall comfort levels. (Although I suppose diazepam could be potentiating the analgesic effect of tramadol...) I invite any thoughts, comments, and suggestions. Basically I am searching for a therapy that might provide long-lasting, non-habit-forming effects similar to that of diazepam... Cheers    
by M. Limoges
Thursday, June 16, 2016
Metronidazole for wallabies 0 A. Nicholson Hello everyone,    I was wondering if anyone has experience with White-handed gibbon behavior.  I have a 47 year old diabetic female who has lost her mate.  There is a young gibbon (under 1 year) that needs placed, and I think it may be a good fit given depression after aborting.  Any thoughts on introduction?   Thanks!  Brittany A. Hasslberg, DVM, MS  Henson Robinson Zoo  White Oaks West Animal Hospital
by A. Nicholson
Friday, March 6, 2015
March 2014 Listserv post - Giraffe behavior or medical issue 0 A. Nicholson Good Afternoon,  We have a giraffe here at the Zoo that has a very odd behavior of hitting his lateral thigh with his head.  He always swings his head to the left and he actually has a callus above his eye where presumably the impact is located.  He also has alopecia on his flank/lateral thigh where the impact of his head hits.  He has done this intermittently for the past year and a half, we thought the behavior was decreasing over the fall but now it seems to be more frequent as of December.   I was hoping to get a few opinions of possible etiology, or see if anyone else has seen similar behavior in giraffes.   If you have time please check out the video linked below and share your thoughts.  CBC/chem/vitamin E/selenium trace minerals including zinc seem to be adequate.  Ear cytology shows increased bacteria and yeast in the right ear (left ear cytology was unremarkable), but he always swings his head to the left.  My primary rule outs are behavioral/ or possible dental issues.  Bruxism is noted around the time of the head swinging. http://youtu.be/RyxPMpQfSTE Thank you in advance! Heather     Heather C. Miller DVM, MS Deputy Administrator for Animal Health | Greenville Zoo hmiller@greenvillesc.gov | www.greenvillezoo.com
by A. Nicholson
Friday, March 6, 2015
581705 White Oak Road
Yulee, FL 32097 USA

Contact Us

Local: (904) 225-3275
Fax: (904) 225-3289
Email:Admin@AAZV.org

Connect With Us