Chimp SSP Annual Report 2003
Kathryn C. Gamble DVM, MS, DACZM Kay Backues, DVM, DACZM
Lincoln Park Zoo Tulsa Zoo
Director of Veterinary Services Staff Veterinarian
2001 North Clark Street 5701 E. 36th Street N.
Chicago, IL 60614 Tulsa, OK 74115
Ph: 312.742.7722 Ph: 918.669.6243
Fx: 312.742.7823 Fx: 918.669.6260
- Veterinary Advisory Group (VAG) recommendations for pre-shipment and quarantine of great apes was written by Vickie Clyde, DVM, of Milwaukee County Zoo and reviewed for application to chimpanzees (Gamble).
- Appendicitis reported in a young female chimpanzee. As the animal was a twin, radiographic diagnosis was facilitated by an age-matched comparison. Surgical resection was successfully completed.
- Chimpanzee Pathology Request (Gamble)
A letter was submitted to 30 ISIS holding institutions – electronically or by mail. It requested that staff veterinarians provide copies of pathology and associated medical reports for 88 chimpanzee deaths (1990-1993). Data spreadsheets will be produced from the raw data for both primary causes of death and secondary problems identified.
Reports were due on or before 31 August 2003 for all specimens. Nineteen institutions replied for a total of 43 animals. The remaining institutions have 18 of 45 animals that are neonatal deaths (less than 7 days of age) and expected to have few records.
Veterinarians will be contacted by phone throughout September to request missing files. An offer to duplicate files at Lincoln Park Zoo and return them is made to facilitate data acquisition from institutions with large numbers of reports or reduced administrative assistant staffs.
Crude assessment for primary causes of death (adults) include cardiopulmonary disease (5), gastrointestinal disease (5), renal failure (4), and musculoskeletal trauma (3).
- Chimpanzee Parasite Assessment (Backues)
A letter was submitted to 42 ISIS holding institutions – electronically or by fax. It requested that staff veterinarians complete a survey assessing chimp collection history and perceptions for endo- and ectoparasites. Data spreadsheets will be produced from the raw data.
Reports are due on or before 30 September 2003 for each institution. Several iinstitutions have replied to date. Veterinarians will be contacted by phone throughout October to request surveys.
- Chimpanzee husbandry manual review – veterinary and contraceptive chapters (Gamble, Dierenfeld)