- About Us
- Online Store
|History of AAZV|
The American Association of Zoo Veterinarians (AAZV) had its origin in 1946, when a small group of veterinarians who were working in zoos met informally during the annual meeting of the American Veterinary Medical Association in Boston. They named the group Zoo Veterinarians and agreed to meet annually at the AVMA meeting. Three of the people attending that meeting were Drs. Leonard Goss (deceased), Patricia O'Conner Halloran (recently deceased) and Lester Fisher (still hale and hearty), all of whom contributed greatly to the field of captive wild animal medicine.
The group established the following aims: 1). to inform those attending the meeting as to newer developments in veterinary medicine applicable to captive wild animals, 2). to publish and disseminate information on the subject and 3). to encourage the use of veterinarians in zoos. Those aims are incorporated into the fabric of AAZV even today. In 1949 a resolution was passed that each member must submit a case report for dissemination or publication. Dues were set at $1.00 per year to help defray the cost of printing and disseminating the case reports. Patricia O'Connor Halloran served as the secretary, program chairperson and only officer for 12 years.
In 1959, a committee was appointed to draw up a constitution and bylaws, which was approved in August 1960 by the membership. The group then became known as the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians with Dr. Charles P. Gandal the first president and Werner P. Heuschle the first secretary/treasurer.
AAZV membership has grown from a handful of dedicated pioneers to over 1000, including full-time zoo veterinarians, part-time zoo veterinarians, foreign zoo veterinarians, veterinarians working in rehabilitation, private practitioners with a keen interest in wild animals, students, veterinary technicians, and zoo curators and keepers.
In 1968, the officers of AAZV took a great leap forward and decided to meet separately from AVMA. For three years the group met at the Kellogg Center at Michigan State University in cooperation with Dr. Charles Reed, their coordinator of continuing education. Since then, AAZV has met in cities throughout North America, hosted by the zoo in that city. In 1976, over 240 people attended a 4-day conference with a program of formal papers, case reports, visits to a local zoo and miscellaneous social activities. In 2003, 575 people attended the meeting. Some of the meetings have been combined with other organizations including the International Association of Aquatic Animal Medicine (IAAAM) and the American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians (AAWV).
With the separate meeting, it was felt desirable to publish a Proceedings for those attending the meeting and to be disseminated to those unable to attend. This has continued to the present with only one year when the proceedings was not produced. The Proceedings were mimeographed in the early days and the Executive Committee of AAZV felt there should be something more permanent. Thus was born (1970) the Journal of Zoo Animal Medicine, affectionately known as the giraffe journal from the logo on the cover. The logo was changed in 1987 to include more representative species. The name of the journal was changed to the Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine in 1989 to reflect the broader concern for both captive and free-ranging wild animal medicine.
When Dr. Fisher and the other pioneers became zoo veterinarians they did it because of their love of wild animals and willingness to care for all creatures. There were no training programs and no books to guide them. In 1968, the San Diego Zoo started the first internship program and that same year the first training program in a veterinary school anywhere in the world began when the University of California School of Veterinary Medicine inaugurated its Zoological Medicine program. It remained the only training program at the residency level for many years, but now many veterinary schools have one or more faculty devoted to teaching wild animal medicine. Furthermore, many zoos have internships and residencies that comply with the criteria established by the American College of Zoological Medicine (ACZM).
The first textbook on zoo animal medicine was published in the German language in 1976.Under the sponsorship of the Morris Animal Foundation, the first test in English was published in 1978 with the title Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, and edited publication with 75 contributors. The book is now in its 6th edition and serves as the primary literature source for zoo medicine throughout much of the world.
Anneke Moresco spent the last year doing post doctoral work at Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden in the Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife (CREW). Anneke and colleagues participated in a conservation and reproduction project for the black-footed cat in South Africa. See the spotlight HERE. Photo credit Dr. Alex Sliwa (curator at the Cologne zoo)