Animal Health Needs More Science
Through The Wild Animal Health Fund, AAZV provides important resources to be responsive to animal health studies that have impact on the care and conservation of captive and free-ranging wildlife.
Proposals Accepted for Funding in 2014
- Evaluation of the Nutritional Status of Rehabilitated Green Sea Turtles (Chelonia mydas). P.I. Terry Norton DVM, DACVP Co-P.I. Lisa Hoopes, PhD
Sponsored by Mazuri Exotic Animal Nutrition, Land O'Lakes, Inc.
Hereby named "Mazuri Grant" of the 2014 AAZV Research Grant Program
- Whole blood cytokine expression for diagnosis of tuberculosis in Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) P.I. Jennifer Landolfi, DVM, PhD, DACVP Co-P.I. Karen Terio DVM, PhD, DACVP Michele Miller DVM, MPH, PhD
Genetic mechanisms of amyloid A amyloidosis in Island foxes (Urocyon littoralis) P.I. Christina Sigurdson DVM, PhD, DACVP Co-P.I. Patricia Gaffney, DVM, MPVM, DACVP
- Validating three nonlethal methods for detecting the emerging pathogens, Ranavirus ssp., in captivity and the live animal trade. P.I. Jesse L. Brunner, PhD Co-P.I. Allan Pessier, DVM, Diplomate ACVP
- Population pharmacokinetics of orally administered epsilon aminocaproic acid in juvenile elephant seals (Mirounga Angustirostris) P.I. Daniel J. Fletcher, PhD, DVM, DACVECC Co-P.I. Shawn Johnson, DVM; Frances Gulland, Vet. MB, MRCVS, PhD
Investigation of novel Versteria parasite at the Milwaukee County Zoo. P.I. Tony Goldberg, PhD, DVM, MSCo-P.I. Annette Gendron-Fitzpatrick, DVM, Ph.D, DACVP
- Comparative genomics of Cancer related OtHV-1 with non-cancer related OtHV-4. P.I. James F.X.Wellehan, Jr. DVM, MS, PhD, DACZM, DACVM Co-P.I. Galaxia Cortés-Hinojosa
Detection of Chlamydia psittaci in free-ranging populations of Red-tailed hawks (buteo jamaicensis) in Northern California. P.I. Michelle Hawkins, VMD, DABVA Co-P.I. Lujan-Vega, Briggs, Ernest, Fish, Hull, Johnson